Construction and Engineering
Employers for which Martin has acted include:
- A property company defending claims by a civil engineering contractor concerning micro tunneling; and
- A sports stadium owner defending a £1.5m payment claim by a main contractor.
Contractors for which he has acted include:
- A main contractor in disputes concerning delays and loss and expense in relation to a large retail development.
- A main contractor in its dispute with a Swiss bank arising out of a performance bond.
- A main contractor in claim for repayment of liquidated damages in respect of the £11m refurbishment of a hospital clinic.
- A major international construction company on a large adjudication concerning a retail scheme.
- A major contractor in relation to a claim arising from the Jubilee Line extension.
- A main contractor in relation to a claim regarding marine construction works and claims under the NEC 3.
- A major contractor in a multi-million pound adjudication on a high profile commercial national retail scheme.
Sub-contractors for which he has acted include:
- A sub-contractor in an adjudication concerning payment claims arising out of electrical works on the Metropolitan Line.
- A roofing sub-contractor in claims against a large main contractor.
Chartered Institute of Arbitrators (CIArb) Business Arbitration Scheme Panel Arbitrator.
Martin has acted for various clients, including:
- A bloodstock agent in defence of claims brought by a former client.
- A firm of solicitors in a trial concerning wasted costs.
- A traffic management company in dispute over scope of VAT.
Energy and Resources
Martin has acted for a wide range of clients in disputes arising out of the design and construction of off shore installations all over the world, including:
- An energy services contractor in a £3m payment dispute in relation to a high-pressure steam pipeline.
- An engineering consultancy providing advice on petrochemical installations in the Middle East.
- A supplier of containers to the offshore industry against an oilfield services company in a substantial sale of goods dispute.
Martin has acted both for and against many professionals, particularly in the construction and engineering fields.
Cases in which he has acted have involved architects, engineers, project managers and solicitors.
LXB RP (Crown Road) Ltd v Squibb Group Ltd  EWHC 2669 (TCC)
Rendlesham Estates plc and Others v. Barr Limited (High Court, QBD, TCC) 28 November 2014,  1 WLR 3663;  BLR 37,  TCLR 1; (2015) 157 Con LR 147;  CILL 3604. Acted for Defendant in defence of a large Defective Premises Act 1972/DPA claim. Led by Lord Marks QC (instructed by DWF LLP)